Health Canada regulates the labelling of food products in Canada. New regulations published on January 1, 2003:
- Made nutrition labelling mandatory on most food labels (Nutrition Facts).
- Updated requirements for nutrient content claims.
- Permitted, for the first time in Canada, diet-related health claims for foods.
Together, the Nutrition Facts table, the nutrition claims and the ingredient list provide Canadians with more information to make informed food choices
- Ingredients in the food are listed by weight from most to least.
- The ingredient list is a source of information for people with allergies or for people who wish to avoid certain ingredients based on their beliefs.