2017 Call for Nominations for the Board of Directors
CPHA’s Nominating Committee is seeking nominations for general election of four (4) Directors to take office for a two-year period commencing January 1, 2018.
CPHA is the leading Canadian non‐governmental organization focusing on the pan‐Canadian public health sector with links to global public health. Central to its governance is a skills-based Board of Directors that stewards the Association and guides its policy and advocacy work.
CPHA’s Board of Directors is a policy governance board with a balance of pre-identified skills. This requires that Board members have expertise relevant to governance. Governance excellence requires members who can think conceptually and with a long-term perspective, and who are able to welcome a diversity of opinions. The Nominating Committee will be seeking nominations of candidates to join this dynamic group of leaders.
The field of public health is diverse and broad and the Nominating Committee encourages nominees from members across the country, from different sectors and with diverse backgrounds. The Nominating Committee is seeking nominees who are working in a range of roles (e.g., practice, finance, education, communications) and public health disciplines (e.g., nutrition, inspection, biostatistics and epidemiology, medicine, public health dentistry, health promotion, nursing, veterinary sciences), and other allied public health professionals (e.g. speech language pathology and informatics) and who indicate:
- Commitment to the vision and mission of CPHA;
- Ability to commit time and resources to serve on the Board and its committees, attend the annual conference, and represent CPHA, as requested;
- Facility as a team player with effective connections to networks and organizations working on public health issues; and
- Demonstrated leadership in the public health sector.
Board members also require:
- Governance experience, including some familiarity with financial systems and risk management issues; and
- Interest in local, regional, pan-Canadian and global public health issues.
Valuable skills include:
- High-level understanding of organizational development and effectiveness; and
- Advocacy experience on public health issues, with an understanding of policy development and political systems that impact implementation.
For 2018-19, CPHA is seeking particular expertise in:
- Distinct needs of diverse populations and communities;
- Financial systems and risk management;
- Public health disciplines such as nutrition, inspection, biostatistics and epidemiology, medicine, public health dentistry, health promotion, nursing, veterinary sciences;
- Membership engagement; and
- Advocacy and policy development.
CPHA is committed to equity and diversity in all its appointments and activities.
Any CPHA member in good standing shall be eligible to be nominated for the office of Director without regard to geographic location. Nominations for Director will be in writing by e-mail or by fax. The nominee will indicate his/her consent to be nominated and be supported by two (2) persons (nominators) who are current CPHA members.
Nomination papers must be received by the office of the Executive Director, addressed to the Nominating Committee, on or before 17:00 ET September 7, 2017.
The nomination form must be accompanied by:
- A statement of eligibility (maximum 500 words) from the nominee indicating how his/her experience fits with the skills and strategic areas being sought by the Nominating Committee; and
- The contact information of the two (2) nominators.
In addition to the above, candidates have the option to include any or all of the following at their discretion:
- Photo (head and shoulders)
- Link to a video message
- Link (one) to an online profile (e.g., LinkedIn)
The above additional information will be made available via CPHA’s website in the language in which it is provided (i.e., CPHA will not translate any of this material).
All supplied materials will be published to CPHA members.
If you require assistance identifying potential nominators, log into the membership portal, select Member Directory, and enter search criteria that will help you find CPHA members who you may know and can approach to support your nomination.
If you have any questions about the nominations or elections process, please send an e-mail to CPHA Nominating Committee.
The election takes place in October-November 2017.
The Nominating Committee is responsible for the process for soliciting nominees for election and filling vacant positions on the Board of Directors. Taking into account the skills required by the Board for 2018 and 2019, the Nominating Committee will review nominations and recommend to the Board eligible names for election by the membership. Nominating Committee members are:
- Suzanne Jackson, CPHA Chair-Elect (ON)
- Lilianne Bertrand, CPHA Member (QC)
- Manasi Parikh, CPHA Student Director (ON)
- Julie Stratton, CPHA Director (ON)
- Maura Ricketts, CPHA Member (ON)
- Ian Culbert, Executive Director (ON) ex officio
2017 Board Members and Term Completion
|Suzanne Jackson||Chair (ON)||December 31, 2018|
|Benita Cohen||Director (MB)||December 31, 2018|
|Annie Duchesne||Director (QC)||December 31, 2017|
|Josephine Etowa||Director (ON)||December 31, 2018|
|Manasi Parikh||Student Director (ON)||December 31, 2017|
|Nancy Laliberte||Director (BC)||December 31, 2018|
|Richard Musto||Director (AB)||December 31, 2018|
|Ann Pederson||Director (BC)||December 31, 2017|
|Julie Stratton||Director (ON)||December 31, 2017|
|Ingrid Tyler||Director (ON)||December 31, 2017|